Collecting data on the number of people inside a shopping mall or market hall has been carried out for decades, however only very recently has the accuracy level of the camera solutions available been able to generate the key metric of occupancy. Footfall historically refers to the number of people entering an areas of interest, however many solution do not count the “outs” accurately enough to understand occupancy of the centre; or in short how busy are you?
With the need to collect robust data, many centres have cameras to collect count data at entry and specific location points within the mall, or monitor the Wi-Fi signals from mobile phones using nodes strategically placed in key areas to understand mall penetration.
Both camera and Wi-fi count data has merits, and as point of reference we ourselves use the physical data from cameras to calibrate our solution.
There are advantages however, to collecting all the count data available, and not just points within the mall or market.
- Know how many people are in an allocated area of the centre; segment the mall or market into zones, such as fashion or food hall
- Give greater understanding to how many shoppers are currently in the open areas and those inside the retailers
- Understand the impact of weather on how the mall is shopped
- Understand how areas change over time. For example what impact on that part of the mall when a large format store closes, or a new retailer opened.
- Understand what activates deliver the highest occupancy of shoppers
- Set security and operational KPI’s based on Mall occupancy
- Understand the draw proportion of your key anchor stores.
With the ability to segment and compare shopping venue occupancy’s by time of day and days of the week, the Tafuta shopper occupancy solution delivers actionable information sets using both current and historic trends inclusive of weather patterns.
We deliver the ability to make informed decisions backed by highly accurate and insightful data.
By providing footfall information sets at key influential areas of your mall, shopping area and portfolio as a whole, not single points of measurement; we show how the areas are utilised over the days/weeks/months & years. Giving you the tools to rationalise priorities, plan and evaluate works, marketing activities and space allocation.